Sunday, August 3, 2008

Traditional Food





Over the next week or so, I will be adding a post each day with thoughts and stories about the trip. I know my last post was a little on the heavy side. I thought I would lighten the mood up a little bit with today's post. Here are some fun little tid bits from the trip.
In Ethiopia, the traditional and most popular food is Injera. It is a sponge bread that you tear pieces off with your fingers. You then put sauces of meat, cheese, and/or beans in the middle of it. When you tear a piece off, you grab a portion of your choice sauce, roll it in a ball, and stick the whole piece in your mouth. A good injera eater gets it in their mouth in one bite and doesn’t have any sauce running down their chin afterwards. We had this traditional food a couple of times. My favorite injera stuffing is chicken, beef, or beans. Although, I will admit, the mutton wasn’t all that bad.
It is a tradition that when you care about the person you are eating with, you feed them the injera you roll in your hand. People at one location were feeding us the injera from their plate. They put the handful of bread in your mouth for you and hand feed you. The pictures above are the injera on plates. The injera filling was poured in the middle of the plate.

In Kenya, Sugar Cane is very popular. Kitale, Kenya is a farming community of sugarcane. Everywhere you go, people are eating sugarcane. Bicycle riders are chewing on it as they ride, children are sitting along the street with it, the store owners are selling it. Of course we had to get some! Here is a picture of me trying Sugarcane for the first time. It’s really good! It is pretty rich. There is no way I would want an entire stock of it. I had a few bites and was done. You bite off a piece, suck out the juice and then spit out the fiber like cane pieces.

The Massi tribe men in Kenya have some of their own traditions as well. For example, the men drink cow’s blood and cow’s milk every morning. I did NOT take part in trying out this tradition, but did find it interesting!!

No comments: