Monday, August 11, 2008

Cup of Cold Water





While in Kenya, we visited several sites where generous donors have sponsored waters wells to be built by Buckner international. I have often thought about how important filling this need is. I gained a new understanding after this trip though.

In the book of John, chapter 4, we learn about how Jesus met a Samaritan woman at the well. He met her there at the well, not on her way to or from the well. He met her at the well. He met her there because he wanted to talk to her about thirst. He explained to her there, that anyone who comes to Him will thirst no more. He was speaking of that spiritual thirst we all have. However, we know that He understands we have a physical thirst as well.

On Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs, we see that the first section of the pyramid is Physiological Needs (food, water, shelter, and clothing). The day we were driving to a recently built well, we saw children walking to a nearby river to collect water in their plastic jugs. Then we passed two children with plastic jugs along the road. Actually they were in the middle of the road doing something. The moved so we could drive by, and then proceeded to move back to the middle of the road. I looked at them out the back of the truck window. I watched them carefully take their plastic water jugs used for drinking and dip them into a dirty mud puddle. I saw homes that collected rain water in dirty tubs. This water would be the same water they would drink with later. They are all surviving on whatever they can find for water and trying to meet their need to quench thirst.

Buckner has plans to build a community center in one village we visited. The first thing they have done (before the foundation of the building is built) is to dig a well. This well provides water to the entire village. Children stood in line for their turn to fill their plastic jugs with fresh, clean drinking water. These children know that if they go to the where the Christians have built the well, they will receive water that won’t make them sick. They will receive water that won’t cause illness or death in those they love. They will receive water they know will quench their thirst and will be safe. Soon to follow will be a community center that will quench that spiritual thirst they have as well.

Seeing the children getting water from the mud puddle was devastating to me. I was embarrassed to think about the water I waste each day. I waste like most people, I suppose, but it struck my heart with an image that pierced. I started to think not only about how incredibly blessed I am, but how we live our lives while millions out there are drinking water saturated with dirt. I hated the fact they were scooping this water that could make them sick. I hate it with a righteous anger that brings tears to my eyes to even think about.

It is interesting that we hear about things like digging wells in Africa. It sounds like a noble cause. It sounds like a good thing. Until you see children drinking from the water that animals are walking in, cars are driving over, and where flies and mosquitoes are breading, I am not sure the magnitude or importance is so clear. So, I bring back a message to you. The children are thirsty. They thirst for clean water and they thirst for a God some have not yet been introduced to. The message isn’t about a plea to “Go Green” for the environment. It is about reaching out to people. People like you and people like me. They are thirsty and we have an obligation to give them a cup of cold water.

1 comment:

todd said...

PS..... from a voice of experience who has struggled with this many times.... never let the fact other people don't "get it" stand in your way of "getting it"