Thursday, August 7, 2008

Korogocho Slum






I stepped out of the van to a familiar place, the Korogocho slum. It is a place I have visited a few times before. The kids were, as usual, running up to the vehicle chanting, “How are you? How are you?” That chant is music to my ears. It sounds like a sweet angelic melody. Hard to explain.

I stepped out of the van and took a quick glance at the people and vultures (almost human like in size) living in the garbage dump nearby. This site is always shocking to me, but is as normal to the children as us seeing the neighbor mow the lawn with his John Deere Tractor. They don’t even notice the scavenging going on just a few feet away.

I soon realized I had about ten children tugging on my arms. “How are you?! How are you?!” One little girl was standing directly in front of me. She was pulling on my arm the hardest. Ironically enough, she was probably the smallest child in that group. I bent down to eye level with her and said told her, “I am well, how are you?” in Swahili. She immediately wrapped her arms around me and gave me the biggest hug ever. It was amazing how she fit just right in my arms. It was like that last jigsaw piece being placed in the puzzle. Wow. She was lovely. She pulled away just as I was admiring how perfect this little girl was. She smiled from ear to ear. Her front teeth were black and rotten through and through. Yes, she was perfect even though her teeth were rotting out of her face. She was beautiful. I don’t have a picture of her, but trust me, she looks like a beautiful masterpiece of art.

The school in Korogocho is like a light in a dark room. It is a place of sanctuary and heaven in the pit of darkness. The children play jacks with rocks on the sidewalk, play on a rusted swing for entertainment, eat bowls of beans for lunch, and are so thankful for these luxuries. They live in the slums and would normally not have such blessings at home. Most would not eat at all if they did not go to school.

The school is growing but cannot nearly serve all the children in need in the slum that is built on the old city dump. They certainly have their work cut out for them. They have a school for the younger children and a beauty salon and wood working training center for older students. Hope comes in different forms. In this case, it comes in the form of a school, with an amazing staff, in the midst of the slums of Kenya. Korogocho. Once you visit, you will never be the same.

1 comment:

Kacee said...

You're right...It is truly a unforgettable place. I will never forget the sights, the smells, but most of all the children that smiled so brightly and seemed so happy in such a dark place. They were so lucky to have you there loving on them.