Saturday, August 9, 2008

The BCC




For the third time in three years, I was blessed with the opportunity to see the children at the Baptist Children’s Center near Nairobi, Kenya. These are kids that I spent a week with at a camp in 2006. I was able to get to know several of them quite well. I love them so much.

The center has expanded and grown so much in the last several years. God is at work there and is working mightily through the staff there as well as the children. One of their goals is to have a dentist on staff. They have a doctor that serves the children at the center and children in the community. They even have a room with the dental patient chair and everything. They just need a dentist. Seeing the children, the dental needs are so very apparent. I pray they find a God serving dentist soon.

Many of you remember the post election violence in Kenya in December. The children from the BCC were moved to alternate homes and locations during the unrest. I remember praying for the children and staff so diligently, only just a few months ago. I remember shedding tears of concern for their lives. People were being slaughtered in the streets due to tribal wars. I prayed these people, that I have such a love for, wouldn’t be killed.

The Lord was so gracious to answer my prayers. None of the children or staff were harmed during this time of trial in their country. I was so thankful to eventually hear this news. However, seeing them on July 24, and being able to hug them and feel them in my arms, was a joy that is hard to explain. To hear your prayers have been answered is one thing. To see and physically feel your answered prayers is incredible. They are safe, alive, and well. I am so thankful.

At the end of the school day the women in the sewing class end the day with a song of prayer. We caught the tail end of it. To this day, I have no idea what they were saying. I don’t know what the words mean. I decided that hearing them sing must be what it is like to hear angels singing. The song cut through me and spoke to my spirit. Again, not sure what they were saying, but my heart was singing right along with them.

During the camp in 2006, I was a leader for the “Blue Tigers” group. That was the group of the youngest kids at camp. Those little ones are no longer little. The boys are turning into young men. The girls are becoming beautiful ladies. I am so proud of them. They have been through so much, seen the unspeakable, and lived to shine through it all. I asked one of my girls what she would want people to know about her. She said, “ I want people to know I am an orphan and I need them to pray for me.” Well, now you know. Her name is Lavendar. Pray for her.

No comments: