Thursday, August 28, 2008

Our Neighbors

Last night, I was asked to give a program at a local men’s group. It wasn’t the typical crowd I am used to. I speak mostly for women’s groups or crowds of mixed gender. This was a pleasant variation to my normal speaking experience. I was certainly blessed by a great group of guys who have a heart for their community, their church, and for those in need. It was a good evening. These guys “Get It” in terms of understanding the importance caring and loving those in need. It was a joy to take part in their evening.

After they filled me up with an unexpected dinner of catfish, potatoes, coleslaw, etc, I spoke to them about missions and how we are all called to take part in caring for the least of these. I spoke on how we are told to love our neighbors.

Neighbors. As I child, when I heard the words “Love thy Neighbor,” I thought it meant to be nice to the people living next door. Sometimes growing up, it was hard to love our neighbors because we didn’t see things eye to on the treatment of their pets, children, etc. I was taught that we were told to love them anyway. I thought I understood that command. Although, as I matured, I gained a new understanding of what it actually means. Love Thy Neighbor.

In Luke 25:25-39, we are told of Jesus reminding a man of this command. After Jesus spoke to him, the man looked at Jesus and asked him a question. “And who is my neighbor?” He asked. Have you asked that question lately? Seems like a funny question to ask. “Who is my neighbor?” Is it just the person next door? The person across the street? Yes, it is. However, loving thy neighbor goes beyond than that. Our neighbors are those next door, across the street, and overseas that are in need. Our neighbors are the starving children living in the dump. It’s the mother of 4 lying in bed dying of AIDS, or the man pounding rocks with a hammer for 12 hours a day and making $1 for the day’s work in Africa. Our neighbor is the single mom that lives down the street and struggling to get by. It’s the child at your son’s school that doesn’t have the money to pay for milk as he watches the other children in class, during the milk break, so innocently take their milk for granted. It’s the homeless man sitting at the street light of the busy intersection. It’s the small hungry child desperately trying to nurse off of a mother who has laid dead on the floor of their mud hut for days in Kitale, Kenya. Love thy Neighbor. Our neighbors are everywhere.

The man speaking to Jesus asked him that simple question for a reason. I think he asked that question because he wanted to make sure he got it right and knew the answer wasn’t as simple as most would assume. So, I challenge you to ask. “Who is my neighbor?” May the Lord open our eyes to see those in need around our homes and our world today.

No comments: