Monday, August 4, 2008

The Shoe School



Bright Hope Ministry offers many programs to the people of Ethiopia. Education, training on trades, etc are being implemented and flourishing in the lives of the needy. We were blessed to go to one of these places. Here young women learn how to sew and to make shoes.

The shoes are quite nice, and are made with such care and perfection. The students had a sense of pride when showing us how they made the shoes. I wondered where the women would be if they weren’t here. Would they be prostitutes like so many of their peers? Would the one young man there be on the streets shining shoes or sniffing glue to stop his hunger pains?

I was so impressed with the quality of the shoes and with the shoe makers that I bought a pair myself. I wasn’t going to at first because when I inquired about it, it sounded as if customers had to order a pair to be made. However, it just happened they had a pair of sandals in my size. I really didn’t care how much they would cost. I would have paid just as much as a pair would cost in the US, if not more. Can you guess how much they charge for the shoes? Three dollars.

I pray for these girls. What is it about them that causes them to captivate my mind? Is it their innocence? Is it their courage? Their joy? Is it the fact that I look at them and realize that could be me? I could have been born in that country and I could be fearing predators on the street as I walk to and from school. I could be working for less than a dollar a day. Maybe it is the fact that I wasn't, that I feel like I should tell their story so others will pray for them too. I thought a lot about them while flying home. I prayed they would avoid the dangers of the street while walking to and from the shoe store. These girls were so sweet. They had an innocence about them that was so endearing. They were so excited to help me find a pair of shoes that fit. They took pride in finding a pair that would fit my feet just right. They did a great job. I haven’t worn the shoes yet. I don’t want to mark them up. They seem too special to wear for some reason. My three dollars shoes. Worth more than you could put a dollar value on really. Made in a work space no larger than a picnic table. It was humbling to see God at work through these young women. May He bless them abundantly.

No comments: