Monday, December 7, 2009

Oh Christmas Tree



Phil and I ventured out and bought our first Christmas tree. This is our first Christmas as a married couple. We shopped around and found a tree that looked like it would do. It’s not an ordinary tree, or at least not anymore. This tree, you see, is our international tree. The ornaments are those in which we have purchased in other countries. There are a few exceptions. The ball ornaments are from Wal-Mart because we don’t have enough international ornaments yet to fill the entire tree. The angel on top, although no doubt made in a foreign country, was purchased here in the US as well. She was a gift from my grandmother and is what she would describe as an irresistible Cracker Barrel purchase.

I put Christmas music on and we went to work getting the tree up. Phil did great at rigging up the lights and eventually, we got to the best part- the ornaments. I love the tree. As I look at the ornaments, I see the faces of those loved ones overseas that have made a difference in our lives. Some of the ornaments Phil and I bought together. Some are ones we bought separately before we even met. One was commissioned by us and carved by a beach living Rastafarian in St. Lucia on our honeymoon. His name was Chris. Would you believe, I still think of and pray for him every so often? One is from Romania, where my heart was broken, pieced together, and changed forever. One is from Russia, a country I have never been to, but has a special place in the heart of my husband. Each one represents so much in our lives.

I like that there is room on the tree to grow and more memories to be made. More countries to visit and more lives to be a part of…Lord willing. Then again who knows, maybe we won’t be able to add any more to the tree. If not, I will still enjoy it and the memories it holds. I have a nativity scene from Kenya in our living room. I remember it took about an hour of on and off bargaining with the shop owner to get him down to a realistic price. He called me “Mama.” I remember him too. I wonder what he is doing this day or even this Christmas.

Christmas has always been hard for me since my first mission trip in 2005. It’s hard to explain. I love Christmas. I love Christmas music. I love the act of giving gifts to those I love and even those I don’t know. I love celebrating the miracle of Christ’s birth. However, there is always a sadness that lurks within. I think of all the little ones I have met along the way. What will they be doing on Christmas Eve and Christmas morning? Will they feel alone? What if the Lord has a child selected for us to adopt one day? Is that child out there somewhere now, and will that precious child sit alone wondering where we are this Christmas? Oh my, that hurts to think about.

On a lighter note, I give thanks and praise to the One above who has blessed me so. I am blessed beyond what I deserve and give thanks to Him. I’m excited to celebrate my first Christmas as “Mrs.” I’m excited to sit by the fire and cuddle with my husband when it is cold outside. I’m excited to give thanks for an incredible year that has just flown by. I give thanks and look forward to what is in the future and what may be added to our bank of memories.

I dreamed the other night that I tried buying ornaments from a store here in the US. I wanted to fill our new tree more and was fully intending to pass the ornaments off as ones I had bought overseas. I thought this was funny because I wouldn’t really do that in real life. The truth is, He gives us special moments in His time and at just the right time. No rush here, the tree will fill as He allows. Christmas is not about the tree or what is underneath. Celebrating and taking joy in the baby that was born in the stable and is starring back at me in that nativity scene from Africa…He is the reason…He is enough….He is the joy of the season.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

It's a beautiful tree, Beth! I love how you share directly from you heart, and I love even more the heart God has given you for His world in need. :) Merry CHRISTmas!!