Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Blind Side

It’s been quite a while since I have seen a good movie.... a really good movie. When I say good, I mean the kind of movie that somehow touches you deeply to where you are still thinking about it days later. I finally made it to see the movie “Blind Side.” This was my second attempt. The first time it was sold out, but persistence paid off.

To give you an idea, the movie is about an orphan boy who needs a miracle and who longs to be loved. A wealthy family takes him in, and not only teaches him how to play football, but gives him the most precious gift of all….love. Let me just warn that if you are a parent, if you have ever worked with at-risk children, or if you have even the smallest emotional bone in your body, take some Kleenex. You will need them.

The story is about the life of a young boy named Michael. From the start of the movie, it’s easy to fall in love with him and want to jump into the screen and just hug him. Probably not more than ten minutes into the movie, I felt my heart beginning to sink and tears coming down my face. He reminded me so much of many children I have had the privilege to love on and to teach. He reminded me of my at risk students that lived in the projects here in the US. Michael carried his school books in a plastic grocery bag because he had no backpack. Wal-Mart bags were the choice bag for my kids’ make shift backpacks. As I watched him carry the bag in the movie, I couldn’t help but think of my old kids. They were just like Michael. He had never owned a bed, neither had most of my students. As I reminisced about them I found myself smiling while my heart was crying for them once again. He also reminded me of the many orphan children I have met around the world. All of them also longing for a family and a chance to live out the potential within their lives.

My Pastor just finished a sermon series on taking risks. We looked in Hebrews 11, and studied about what the Word says about faith and risks. What if we all took the risk to help someone the way Michael’s adopted family did in this movie? What if we gave someone a chance and helped them reach their potential? What if we poured out love to someone not knowing if we would receive the love back? Would it take faith? Would it be a risk? I’m guessing so! However, just as the movie (which is a true story) proved, some risks are worth taking.

I’d encourage you to see the movie if you get a chance. I’d also encourage you to ask the Lord what He would want you to do in helping others. Caring for the least of these may be His answer to your question. What will your response be?

1 comment:

Kacee said...

BEAUTUFIL post...as usual! I have not seen the movie yet but I want to, I cry just watching the previews. It is so heartbreaking to think of all of those out there in need.

It is extremely overwhelming but just as the movie shows...touching the life of one person can make a huge difference. You touch the lives of so many Beth! Thank you for sharing!