Friday, May 8, 2009

Registration Purgatory

I had but one goal for today. It seemed simple, but it was just one of those days. We have all had those days. They are they kind that sitcom writers get their plots from. Today I entered into what I call “Registration Purgatory.”

I have spent a good amount of time on the phone lately. I haven’t been chatting like a school girl to friends back home, rather I’ve been on the phone with government agencies. There are important things on my to-do list: Change my name on my passport, register my vehicle, get a driver’s license, and obtain a social security card with my new name.

As I sit and type in this moment…I have no real proof of who I am. At least I can chuckle as I type that last sentence. Trust me, I wasn’t laughing a few hours ago.

It started with a few calls to the DMV and the County Registration department. They told me all the paperwork I was to bring. I packed my things and was on my way. The first stop was to get the vehicle checked.

I needed to get my oil changed and also get the required “Certificate of Inspection” for Texas. With a minimal wait, I was out the door and feeling very optimistic that I could get the registration of my SUV AND license today. Why not? What could go wrong? I was on a roll.

As I walked into the registration office, I saw two signs and two groups of people waiting. Next to the first group waiting, was a sign that said “Property Taxes.” Next to the other group was a sign that said “Registration.” After waiting about 20 minutes, I realized that there was a small sign reading that only cash and checks were accepted for payments. Realizing I didn’t have our checkbook and didn’t have a lot of cash, I left and drove to the nearest ATM.

Next I came back to an even more crowded room. I took my place at the end of the line by the group with the registration sign. After waiting 45 minutes, I finally got to the counter. I explained that I needed to register my vehicle. The tired woman looked up from the counter and said, “I’m sorry, you are in the wrong line. Your line is over there.” “You mean I should have been in the line under the property taxes sign for my car registration instead of the registration sign?” “Yes, that is correct,” she stated. I wanted to ask her if I was on a hidden camera prank show.

After waiting at least a half hour in the property tax group, I was finally called up to the oh so friendly counter of property taxes for my car registration. After looking at my paperwork, I was told that I was missing information on the bank in which a loan was taken out on my car. This info was not listed as paperwork needed when I called. So, I was told to come back when I had the appropriate info.

Too make a long story short (too late). I eventually stood in more lines, retrieved the needed info, and received the registration. Now I was on to get my license. By following the directions to the DMV that I was given at the registration office, I arrived at the building. As I entered it, I let out a sigh of relief for almost being done with the whole process. It was cut short as I saw a sign on a window. “If you are looking for the DMV office, it has moved to another building at ___ location.” Great.

Back into the car I went and drove to the new office. What did I do next? I stood in line again, of course. My turn came and I explained I simply wanted a Texas license. I was confident there would be no problems because I brought everything they told me to bring on the phone. Only there was a problem because during my turn, they told me they MUST have my birth certificate. I would have loved to have had that info earlier.

Home again…home again. After grabbing a quick bite to eat and packing my birth certificate, I drove back to the DMV. As I opened the door, I realized many people had just gotten off work as the line was almost out the door. When my turn finally came, things went smoothly, and I was in disbelief. “Here is your temporary copy, Miss” the worker said. “Temporary? Temporary copy of what?” I asked. “Your temporary license. You don’t actually get your license today. We will mail it to you in 4-6 weeks.” Shocked and a bit irritated that I wasn’t getting the card, I was just thankful to be done.

As I got into the car, something hit me. I am going to be travelling in a few weeks. How can I travel with no picture ID? So, back I went to stand at the end of the line wrapped around the room. (You aren’t allowed to ask questions unless you wait your turn in line.) When it was my turn once again, I asked them what I was supposed to do since they took my old license, and I had no picture ID to travel with. I was told there was nothing they could do.

Six hours after I started this process, I was left not knowing what my legal name actually is. Do I go by my maiden name or my married name? I have no official identification. My new social security card is being processed, my driver’s license consists of an index sized piece of paper with a red stamp on it, and my passport is probably somewhere in a Pennsylvania office cubicle. All of these things promised to arrive in 4-6 weeks. Who am I? What shall I call myself? I am in Registration Purgatory.

And so I wait…I wait on my cards and ID paperwork to come in the mail. I will be still and know that God is on top of this all and will work it all out. He knows my name and I can be identified by and through Him. My husband says he still loves me (whoever I am) and I know God does too. I will call myself Beth Brinkmeyer….even if I can’t prove it officially.

Thus ends my blog venting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since I moved "from" Texas to "Iowa" I was amazed and I mean completely "blown away amazed" that I could actually do all the things you mentioned in this blog...in ONE OFFICE IN ABOUT 1/2 HOUR.... What a shock after experiecing exactly everything you just experienced while in Texas. I still marvel at the quickness and LACK OF LINES HERE IN IOWA.

Thankfully we are just passing through this place called Earth.

todd said...

Are you preparing for things to come??