Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Conversation


It’s surreal how when you get news of a loved one passing away, it seems as if the world stops. Time seems to stand still, and it’s as if you are violently shoved into a bubble of slow motionlessness. Yesterday, I received the call that my grandfather had passed away.

At the risk of sounding cliché, he really is in a better place now. He is in a place of no pain, and in a place where he is enjoying the majesty of the Lord more than we can ever imagine. I have come to peace with that and am thankful.

Yesterday, my mind couldn’t help but go back to the praise song we sang in church only this last Sunday. The words were echoing in my head. “You give and take away. You give and take away. My heart will choose to say, Lord blessed be Your name.” In the midst of mourning, I will praise Him and stand in awe of His power.

Phil suggested we go watch the sunset that evening. It was a good idea. As I sat in my kayak watching the sun slowly slip down the horizon, I was reminded that time doesn’t stand still. Life goes on. The birds were still chirping, commercial planes full of people were still flying through the air, and the cars on the bridge were rushing by in their busy evening commute. Life…it goes on.

My grandfather was a good man. He helped so many people in his life. He came to accept Christ’s gift of salvation at a very late age and before the Alzheimer’s claimed much of his body and mind. We are so grateful for that. He is a perfect example of how at a late age in life, thought that praying to God and doing good deeds would get him into Heaven. He didn’t know there was a gift to accept until someone told him. Maybe there is someone in your life that needs to hear the good news that is similar to my grandfather?

We rest in knowing he is in the presence of the Lord now, and we will see him again one day. He will be missed, but his memory will live on in the hearts of those who knew him. Life here..will go on.

Is there someone in your life that you need to have a talk with about their relationship or lack there of with Christ? Life is short. Have that conversation.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for your lost but he is in a better place now. The greatest gift is knowing that your grandfather was a christian and now lives in heaven. Thats more then most!!!

Susan said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather's passsing. May God hold you close during your time of grief.

Stacy said...

Sorry to hear about your grandfather but it is the hope we have as Christians that we will be reunited some day. I'm so glad you have that peace in his passing.

Beth said...

Thank You all for your kind words and prayers!