Monday, May 11, 2009

Be Still...


I firmly believe that God is all around us in so many ways. Sometimes we just get so busy, so distracted, and so noisey, that we don’t notice He is right there. Recently while kayaking, I was reminded of this.

As we paddled on the calm lake water, I dodged the trees sticking out of the water. A crane sat perched in a tree nearby enjoying the view and breeze. My husband says I am all or nothing..either I “go fast” or “don’t go at all” while paddling. I hate to admit that he is right most of the time. However, in this moment I moved slowly towards the bird. I wanted to see him. I wanted to get as close as I could. I tried to be as quiet as possible, and I couldn’t believe how close I was able to get. The bird was beautiful. Eventually, it gently lifted into the air and flew away.

The further I glided around the lake, I realized how nice it was when I stopped to listen. The sounds of nature are really pretty calming and nice. Those sounds are always there. This was the first time I had actually heard them since the move to my new place in life.

Why have I never heard them before? Is it because it was a calm day? Maybe it was because music wasn’t encompassing my mode of transportation or being fed right into my ears. My fingers weren’t busy texting either. Maybe it was because for the rare moment, no words were pushing their way past my lips. It was quiet, and I liked it.

The occasional fish flopped near my boat, and I’ll confess I might have let out a shriek or two. But for the most part, it was a peaceful time. I have problems with being still. I don’t have attention issues. I have just fallen accustomed to the trap of the enemy…an addiction to noise. I think he pulls us into the trap so we have a harder time hearing the Lord. When I took the time to consciously stop and to be still…I saw Him in the birds. I saw Him in the sounds of His creations, and I felt Him in the peace I felt as I relaxed.

I wonder if in the times in life I have felt like I couldn’t hear Him while wanting guidance, if I just missed it with that “go fast or don’t go at all” way I have sometimes. Was I going so fast or too distracted, that I didn’t hear when the guidance was offered? Was it gently whispered to me as the wind whistled and the birds chirped, but the music vibrating out of the car speakers covered it up? Maybe I was on the phone, was busy cleaning, or was making one of the many on-going mental lists in my head and just didn’t hear it. Bummer.

I’m a work in progress just like the next person. My prayer is that we all make an extra effort to see Him each day, to hear Him each day, and to enjoy Him each and every day. Sometimes we just have to be still and quiet.

No comments: