Monday, January 5, 2009

The Start of a New Shelf


Happy New Year! 2008 is officially done and a new year has begun. I find it exciting to think of the possibilities that lie ahead. This year could be full of so many things. Our minds cannot even fathom the potential blessings that He has awaiting us.

I had a wonderful Christmas. This was my first Christmas celebration of many with my future husband. I am left with a feeling of great thankfulness for the time we had to celebrate. My family was all together to gather for those traditional events, meals, and activities. It was nice. The snow was beautiful on Christmas Eve, and we even had some new additions to our celebration that night. We made new friends that are a part of the African Refugees here in the QC area. They are from Burundi, and we just fell in love with them!! Above is a picture from the evening.

One of my favorite moments of Christmas this year was on Christmas Eve. As we stood in the candlelight of the church, I looked around. To my left, was a new friend. A mother from Africa doing all that she can to provide for her family here in the US. With her baby wrapped on her back, she held a candle in one hand while softly trying to sing a Christmas song in a language not her own. On my left hip was a petite little girl. Her head was heavy as she was tired from a full tummy and an evening of play. As I gently tried to hoist her up on my hip, the hot wax from my own candle dripped onto my hand with each move I made. She was falling asleep as we all sang Silent Night. To my right, was my niece with her new young African friend as well. They both stood so still holding their candles. They felt so grown up being trusted with it. Delainey with her fare skin, blonde hair, and blue eyes, stood next to her new friend with dark skin, long black braids, and dark eyes. In the candlelight they looked like two little angels standing side by side. I was so proud of them. Next to them was my fiancĂ©, the man whom I will spend the rest of my life loving. He too watched over the little girls and sang along in the candlelight. I snuck looks of him out of the corner of my eye and was almost breathless thinking about what an incredible man he is. Across the church, I saw the rest of my immediate family, all singing and enjoying the moment. I realized how in many ways, they have blessed me in ways I have not deserved. My church family surrounded the sanctuary in a circle. Circle of love…A Circle of Thanksgiving…A Circle of Light.

Christmas Eve was a wonderful memory that has been written in the books and placed at the end of the shelf labeled “2008” in the library of my mind. It was part of a special end to a great year. I can’t wait to see what the Lord has in store for the almost empty shelf of “2009.”

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. – Jeremiah 29:11-13


No comments: