Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Door



Phil and I recently had our engagement pictures taken. It was fun. We opted for an “urban” photo shoot as opposed to the traditional pictures in the park or in a studio. We were really pleased at how they turned out. I like this picture here. It isn’t my favorite of all we had taken, but I really like it. I couldn’t figure out why until today. Is it the colors? Maybe. Is it because it is different from the others we had taken? Maybe, but those explanations didn’t seem to stop my head from tilting to the side and my face making that puzzled look each time I gazed at it. What is it about this picture?

Finally, I flipped through and stopped on this picture, and it came to me. I think this picture is symbolic. Here we are hanging out by this door. No one really knows for sure what is on the other side…I certainly don’t. I could take an educated guess, and it might be close. However, I’m not certain what is on the other side.

The journey through that door could offer us many things. Obviously, there are things on the other side that cost money. There are indications of that on the door. There is also a sign that says, “No Smoking.” Think back to the cartoons you watched as a child. Remember when a character would take off running fast? Smoke would come off the character’s feet. Maybe this sign is a sign to say “Don't go running through this door so fast you start smoking..take your time!” Okay, I know it’s just a sign to inform everyone smoking cigarettes is not allowed, but that image of smoking feet keeps playing in my mind.

What IS on the other side of that door? My guess is that if we were to have gone through that door, the next action after this picture was taken would be for Phil to reach his long arm down to help me up. He would probably make sure I was steady on my feet before taking me by the hand and moving forward. No, not just because I am wearing heeled boots in the winter, there could be ice on the other side, or just because I generally tend to be clumsy and am known to trip...A LOT. He always makes sure my feet are steady before we move on.. in more ways than one in life.

When I looked at this picture today, a verse came to mind. “So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.” (Luke 11:9).

I think this picture is symbolic of our journey ahead. The door, scuffed much like our lives tend to get in our journey through this world, is just asking to be knocked on. Our Lord is on the other side waiting for us to answer. Phil and I will be married in just over a couple months. We don’t know what doors will be opened for us in the future. We don’t know what is on the other side of many of them. I pray we will do our best to not run so fast through them that our feet create a cloud of smoke. And I am guessing he may need to hold my hand and guide me through many. I think this picture is a cool reminder that the door is always there. He is always there waiting. Waiting for us to ask so He can give. Waiting for us to seek so He can show. Waiting for us to knock so He can open that door.

Who knows what’s behind that door? He does and has a great plan for any of us who ask to go through it. May you ask, seek, and knock on that door you are standing in front of today.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Great picture! Congrats once again. I'm sure you two will experience much joy together on the other side of the door.

Andrea

Anonymous said...

An added thought...God could have the door closed...NOT allowing you to enter...to keep you from entering into failure or trouble.

Until He Shouts!
et (Esther Taylor)