Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Junk Ridding


As I prepare for a yard sale, I look at all the stuff in the for sale pile that I hope to get rid of. As I look at some items, I think to myself, “What if someone doesn’t take that? Will I be stuck with it forever?” Some of the things I really want to get rid of. If no one buys it, should I donate it or even throw it away?


Getting rid of stuff, junk, or even things we like but no longer have room for, isn’t easy. It’s time consuming. It’s difficult to know if you should sell it and how much to sell it for. It’s a lot of work and sometimes is hard to let go of things, but feels GREAT when it’s gone. At the end you are left feeling refreshed and lighter to have gotten rid of so much stuff you had been carrying around. Oh…the joy of Junk-Ridding.


Getting rid of stuff you don’t need is a good thing. We all have a bag or two that needs to be given up. You know what I mean. I’m not talking about the old faithful Samsonite that has lasted a lifetime and you can’t seem to part with. I mean old baggage inside our hearts that we hang on to that needs to go.


Once in the 7th grade we had a new girl start at school. I went out of my way to be nice to her and felt bad for her because she was new. In return, she thought it would be fun to make up a nasty rumor about me and spread it all over the class. That still strikes an anger nerve in me today. Silly, huh?


In the midst of the glorious Yard Sale season, I have a challenge for you (and for myself). Let go of that old bag you have been carrying around. It’s probably something more than a junior high squabble. If it is a bag that you have been carrying, keeping, hording, or even storing in the attic, give it up, let it go. It’s not doing you any good. Let’s face it, you don’t have room for it, and deep down you don’t want it anymore. Maybe it is junk from your past. Maybe you have treasured bitterness about something for a long time. He stands by ready to take it off your hands for you. If you don’t give it to Him, you will be stuck with it for a lifetime. Let it go and enjoy that light feeling of not carrying it around and the refreshed feeling of Junk-Ridding.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Insightful!!! I love to read your blogs.

Beth said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Melyssa!