Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Ecclesiastes

We were challenged this Sunday to read Ecclesiastes and underline the word “meaningless” each time we saw it. I just finished this assignment.

Although I’ve read Ecclesiastes before, the words took a different meaning to me this time. It’s so insightful and really doesn’t take long to read. Maybe I am in a different place in life now than I was when I read it the last time. As I read, I found myself underlining more than just the word “meaningless.” There were several things I highlighted that hit me hard.

“Sorrow is better than laughter, for sadness has a refining influences on us.” (Ecclesiastes 7:3) Boy, is that ever true! Think back to the situations in life that have had the most influence on who you are today. I’m willing to guess that those things that had the biggest impact on you are moments or times of sorrow or sadness…pain or hardships.

“Then I observed that most people are motivated to success because they envy their neighbors. But this too is meaningless- like chasing the wind.” (Ecclesiastes 5:4)
Unfortunately, I think we are all guilty of this at some point in our lives.

I challenge you to read Ecclesiastes too. Have a pencil in hand to underline what stands out to you as you read.

We do spend a lot of our time here chasing after the wind. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to be a wind chaser. There is greater purpose in life than running after that wind. Run after what the Lord is calling you to do with your life. Strap on those tennis shoes and run for a purpose that can be lived out through you if you go after it. You won’t be running alone. The Lord knows it’s easier to run with a partner. He will go with you. I’ve got my athletic socks on and am about to lace up. Anyone care to join me?

No comments: