Thursday, June 18, 2009

And The Walls Come Down


I recently started going to an acupuncturist for some health issues. As a former “sick kid,” who was stuck with needles too many times to count, I never thought I would find myself in a position willingly having 30+ needles poked into me at any given time. Strange are the situations we find ourselves in during our time here, I guess. The first few times of going, I was hesitant each time the Dr. approached me. Not that the needles hurt too badly, but it was probably more due to the loss of control I felt. The picture above is one where the Dr. is attempting to get the damaged nerves in my knee to work again following a botched knee surgery from my past.

One visit while I was suffering from a cold, my Dr. told me he could give me some relief by placing the needles in some sinus points. He found a knot in the back of my neck, and told me to relax as he put the needle in. He then told me to breathe. Ahhhh…for the first time in days my nose suddenly worked to take in air. It was as if a wall had just been knocked down inside my sinuses. I greatly enjoyed what so many of us take for granted normally, getting air to my lungs by way of taking in air through the nose! It was so nice.

What felt like a wall in my nose/sinuses had been up for a few days. I tried lots of things to take it down. I did the sinus rinse (as I chuckled at how silly I looked putting a plastic tea pot looking thing up my nose.) I used vapor rub, over the counter meds, allergy meds, hot tea, etc. Nothing broke down the wall until that needle went into the knot/muscle/nerve or whatever you call where he put it.

As I held still in a semi dark room with the pins in me, I got to thinking about how the Lord works on our hearts. I think a lot of us have walls around our hearts. Walls that we have tried to break down with cheap and temporary remedies. None really work. The Lord has the ability to touch our hearts and remove those walls. It’s amazing how he can do it. He finds the place where we hurt, and with His gentle touch…the wall comes down. It’s pretty amazing. When the wall comes down, it’s like breathing clearly for the first time in a long time.

Just as I was hesitant at those first few needles going in me, I know some of you are hesitant of letting the Lord near that wall. You are afraid it will hurt and probably afraid you will lose control. Take a deep breath, relax, and realize you are in good hands. Ask Him to remove that wall, and before you know it…you will be amazed at how clearly you are breathing again.

No comments: