Friday, October 24, 2008

The Tree Man


I watched in what was a state of confusion between horror and fascination. I had seen the commercial on TV for this. That’s what prompted me to watch. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. How could this be? The title of the show was, “Half Man Half Tree.” No! That just can’t be.

It wasn’t. No, the man above named, DeDe is not half tree. He just looks like it. He has a rare condition where his immune system cannot stop his body from producing wart like growths. The warts grow and grow. They become hard….as hard as tree branches. When cut off, they just grow back and even faster than before. They have covered his hands and forearms. They have covered his feet and part of his legs. The warts, they are all over.

This man absolutely fascinated me. My heart just broke for him. I could tell in his eyes, that this condition has robbed him of so much in life. His self esteem, his feelings of self worth, the joy of having peace in life…gone. The only job he could find in Indonesia, was to join a circus like group of others that had deformities. They travel to perform freak show type acts for crowds of laughing on-lookers. His friends seemed so sweet, but were just as shocking to look at. I wondered what all they have endured in life. I can’t imagine.

If you have an opportunity to hear his story, do so. There are a few more out there in the world with similar rare conditions. I couldn’t help but feel called to pray for him. As I went to sleep that night, I was haunted by the images I saw on the television. I had dreams in my sleep about tree branches and roots taking over my home and even popping out the windows. He doesn’t dream those types of images…he lives them.

His courage, his perseverance, his will to go on, is inspiring. The uniqueness of his condition and the images might just leave you speechless. He is absolutely fascinating. Check it out. The man in Indonesia. They call him, The Tree Man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJLG85gn0bc


1 comment:

mani said...

it was really interesting great work mama