Thursday, January 14, 2010

James


I’m a part of a women’s study group that meets each week. Next week we are looking at the book of James. A new member of our group whispered to me, at the announcement of what we will study next, and said “I’ve never read James..have you?” I told her that I had and the cool thing about it was that even if you have read it many times, you still learn something new when you read it again.

Since James is pretty short, I decided I would make it a goal to read it every day for a week. I tend to remember things more if I read something more than once. Plus, I was recently challenged to do more memorization of God’s Word to invest in my spiritual life. It’s full of golden nuggets and words that permeate the heart and soul. Once again I have gained new insight on these same words I have read many times before.

I had lunch with a new friend recently and she told me of a family she and her husband had shown Christ’s love to. At the time, she was only a few weeks from giving birth to their first child. A family of four in their church was in need. They were going through some financial hardships and seemed to need a helping hand. Even though she was just weeks away from giving birth, they offered for this family of four to move into their home and live with them until they could get back on their feet. The family ended up staying much longer than expected and not being the most gracious guests to say the least. I was touched by her generosity of showing Christ’s love. As I did my reading of James later that day, I thought of her when coming across this verse.

Now someone may argue, “Some people have faith: others have good deeds.” But I say, “How can you show me your faith if you don’t have good deeds? I will show you my faith, by my good deeds.” James 3:18


I challenge you to read James everyday for a week and reflect on the message the Lord speaks to your heart.

No comments: