Monday, September 14, 2009

The Climb

My husband and I went for a bike ride recently. We rode 10 miles, Phil hardly broke a sweat. He is way stronger than I am on a bike. About 4 miles into the ride we came to a decision making point. Turn around and go home, was option one. Go to the right and have to climb a very large hill, was option number two. Or we could do option number three and ride in a residential area. I chose option number three.

Although option number three didn’t have that huge hill, I wasn’t aware that it did have some (not exactly small) hills. I suddenly became aware as I looked and couldn’t see over the hump in the road far ahead. I needed to get moving. Phil rode right beside me and encouraged me. I was struggling to get the words out of my mouth, “I….don’t….think…I…can make…it..to…the top.” He reassured me I could.

I was struggling. Phil told me to try to stand and pedal…my legs wouldn’t let me up. I was worn out. I wasn’t sure how to respond to the person driving up the hill in their car who yelled out the window “Good Job!” As I was CREEPING up the hill and noticeably wobbly at this point, I wasn’t sure the passerby was making fun of me or trying to encourage me. A walker would have been going faster up that hill than I was climbing. So..I laughed…which didn’t help as I was trying to get up the hill.

All the sudden I felt a hand on my back and a gentle push in those last few feet that I didn’t think I was going to make. As I looked to my left, I saw my husband riding one handed while helping me along. I didn’t ask for the help. He knows I never would have, I am way too stubborn. It bruised my pride to be pushed but was greatly appreciated at the same time. And so…I let him help me up those last few feet to the top.

What about you? Are you struggling up a hill? Are you barely able to stand up to push? We all have been there in life. Maybe it isn’t about a bike ride. Maybe it is something in life that you are struggling with that is even bigger, and you feel like you are climbing a mountain instead of a hill. Know that the Lord is there to take one hand off His handle bars and to help you up. He is riding right beside you. He is watching you, cheering you on, and even ready to give you a gentle push to the top if you will receive it. And remember, once you get to the top, it’s all downhill from there.

2 comments:

Yuriko said...

what do you mean by saying it's downhill from there?
I like your analogy for the uphill quest but I don't understand the downhill relation..

Beth said...

Hi Yuriko,

Thanks for your comment. The idea behind that statement is that once you climb a hill, the hard part is over. Next you can relax knowing that on going down the hill on the other side is much easier to do. The Lord will help us climb and fight our way to the top. After the climb and struggle to the top, you can take joy in knowing that hill has been accomplished and you can enjoy the ride on the other side of the hill/mountain/challenge.