Monday, January 31, 2011

Super Bowl Fever

It’s not the motorcade to provide safety that bothers me. It’s the crowds of people standing along side of the road waving and cheering widely. It’s the airplane “Shower of Affection” that is normally given to heroes, military servicemen, or dignitaries upon arrival at an airport. It’s the armed motorcade, news breaking reports, etc for the carrying in of the football trophy. I’m all about a good football game, don’t get me wrong. I’m just not about to worship the players. Ugh.

This is Super Bowl week in Dallas. As I watched people line the road, to wave at the players riding by in their police accompanied parade, I think of Palm Sunday. Remember when the people waved palms as the Messiah rode by on a Donkey? Today, we give an even bigger welcome and worship to our society’s idols that play a sport. The players are very well paid for their jobs, I might add. Christ PAID a price to do what He was placed here to do, and He did it to save us..not pad his bank account.

Yes, I’ll be watching the game this Sunday. I’ll be cheering on my favored team. I won’t be buying into our modern day Babylon’s attempt to make these players God though. It makes me sad that we have soldiers returning from war that they receive only a fraction of a welcome compared to this. As the Super Bowl draws near, I’m reminded to keep things in perspective while I live in a city that has come down with Super Bowl Fever.

No comments: