Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Gracie Mae






I believe the Lord has a reason and purpose for each creation and relationship in our lives. Sometimes he works miracles with His hands. Sometimes He works through His creations to do the same. My childhood dog, Bandy was the best dog a child could have. He died at 16 or 17 years old. This weekend our dog Gracie passed away as well. She was 17 years old and a sweet, sweet girl.

She proved to be a best friend to my husband long before I came along. Because she was such a good dog, it was so hard to say good-bye. I think she hung around as long as she did because she wanted to make sure my husband was going to be well taken care of. Not only did she welcome me into their lives, we even became good friends. I like to believe she passed the torch to me in taking care of him when I proved worthy in her loving eyes.

The Lord certainly used her countless times when my husband needed her. I remember during some really trying times this last year, she stuck so close to me and did her best to make me feel better. The Lord used her in many ways.

I have a sweet picture in my mind. It could be a vision or just even a longing or a hope. With the same innocence I prayed with as a child years ago, I did it again as an adult this past weekend. I don’t know if dogs go to heaven. I’m sure many could debate either side to this. I do know that if my request is granted, two of my favorites are playing up there right now. In our mourning for a dear friend, I know He is honored by us loving one of his most precious creations. Gracie Mae will be missed.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I'm so sorry you lost your sweet friend!
Dogs have a way of touching our hearts in a place nothing else can. And I personally have to believe that we'll see them again. I guess I just can't imagine God creating a creature so wonderful, just for it to cease existing. I HOPE you'll see gracie again.

Wish I could personally give you a hug.